Sketches

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Teaching drawing and sketching

This is my class; 6 architecture students hard at work to sketch the built environment in Maastricht.
Next to my regular job as an architect, I also gave a course of drawing and (hand)sketching for the Academy of Architecture in Maastricht (part of the Academy of Arts). It's a 4 year course to get a Masters degree in Architecture, 2 evenings and a full day a week.
I taught them the principles of linework, hatching, perspective, isometric and axonometric drawing, hand drawing, visual drawing and sketching as method of design. And more.
I finished the final session (of 7) last evening.
Very tiring but also very rewarding to do! Here you see them enthusiastically drawing a grey stone wall at 1 meter distance. It was real nice to find a new surprising challenge every week... haha.

2 comments:

Michael Lukyniuk said...

Your course sounds like something that I'd like to follow. You seem to have the sessions broken down into very specific components. Did you give a lot of assignments to the students or was it mostly lectures?

Rene Fijten said...

I always gave an introduction for about 15-20 minutes to explain theoretics or background. Then I would give them a few exercises and a discussion or review at the end. I think it worked quite well.