Sketches

Thursday 5 September 2013

Walt Disney Concert Hall


How can you draw a building like this? I wondered if just drawing the outline was enough to show the dynamics of the facade, but I thought it would be better to try and catch the idea of movement in itself.
I am not so content with the result, but here it is.

I made the drawing when I had a day alone in LA; the ladies went to Disney World and I was able to explore the city. Making drawings and visit sites I had wanted to visit for a long time. Like Watts towers, Walt Disney concert hall (by Frank Gehry), the Bradbury building, The Cathedral (by Rafael Moneo), Sunset Boulevard, the Guitar centre, Santa Monica and the pier and so on. The day was way too short.
I was able to tour the Disney music centre. Even though I was afraid that the interior was far too overdone for my taste (like the facade), in reality it was very well done. I loved the roof terrace and the sights throughout the building. And it was also very well detailed and materialised.

No comments: