Sketches

Friday 30 August 2013

Hollywood



The final stage of our tour: we arrived in Los Angeles. What a city. I must say I really liked LA, even though it's a sprawl of endless suburban housing.

LA lacks those things that turns a city into a recognizable entity, like a clear definable city centre (there is one, but that is not really alive), citywalls (OK, that's the European in me) or parks. 
There are no clear points like cathedrals or townhalls or pedestrian shopping area's, no Eiffel towers or Tower bridges or something. 
No. LA has Motorways to define the city. And the Hollywood sign.

So here are my sketches of Hollywood. The Chinese theatre drawing is not that good, but in fact it was the most lively place we saw in all of LA. And Godzilla was looming over the roof of the "Ripleys believe it or not"exhibition.

7 comments:

RobCarey said...

Very true about LA. Did you go through Long Beach while you were there? That is my home town.

Rene Fijten said...

No we didn't get south of LAX, where our hotel was located. We wanted too, but I misjudged the distances and the time it costs when you are dependent on public transport. LA public transport could use some improvement... So we sticked to the centre, Hollywood and St. Monica. More than enough to fill 3 days.

Rodney van den Beemd said...

Geweldige sfeer-impressie van urban, landschap en prehistorie Rene! De T-Rex kijkt je werkelijk angstaanjagend aan!

Rodney van den Beemd said...

Geweldige sfeer-impressie van urban, landschap en prehistorie Rene! De T-Rex kijkt je werkelijk angstaanjagend aan!

Rene Fijten said...

Dank je Rodney. Was ook héél leuk om te tekenen, bijna cartoon.

Dailysketches said...

As always,I love your sketches and I have particularly enjoyed your impressions of the West Coast and Nat'l
Parks. I just posted my SF sketches,you can connect through USK Portland when you have a moment.
Great impressions!

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks dailysketches. I saw your SF sketches, very nice. I feel we didn't spend enough time there to get to know the city well (and it was cold there)...