Sketches

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Post-impressionism

 

Day 3 was for the post impressionists like van Gogh, and Cezanne. They did not only try to catch the light, but explored the way the act of painting (the strokes of van Gogh), colour (experiments by Gauguin and Seurat) and positioning of volumes (Cezanne) can stage a painting.
We concentrated on Cezanne, building depth by positioning volumes that are created by shades of colour.

In the morning I sketched this terrace with the little church of Brancion behind it.
I used it to create the above painting later that day, 50x60cm, acrylic on canvas.
I worked below a large tree, out of the sun, as I burned my neck the day before.

3 comments:

schilderijenfoto said...

Die is goed gelukt!

RobCarey said...

I like, I like!

Rene Fijten said...

Dank je Geert-Jan, hij mag van mijn vrouw aan de wand hangen. Thanks Rob, at the risk of being arrogant, I was pretty pleased myself as well.