Sketches

Monday 20 May 2013

Hundertwasser

We visited two buildings by Hundertwasser, an artist/architect who is very popular by the public, but disliked by most of my fellow colleagues. His architecture is flamboyant, chaotic, anarchistic and very colourful. Even though it's far away from my architectural taste, I thoroughly enjoy his visions. But I would hate to have to live in it.
Anyway, we visited the "Kunsthaus Wien", which has a nice terrace in the backyard. Shaded trees, colourful architecture and good coffee. What more do you need for a decent sketch?

6 comments:

LuTi said...

Maybe it will not surprise you but I like "Stowasser" creations. Nobody can say it is boring. I find exciting the organic forms in contrast to very geometric, straight lines seen in general. His CITADEL OF MAGDEBURG is truly fascinating .

Rene Fijten said...

I am a "modern" architect and as such I had a lot of trouble with his visions (in the past). I used to disliked what he made, considered it to be just colourful decoration.
But a few years ago I visited his Ronald Mc donald house in Houthem (Zuid Limburg). Now that was an something impressive: the total building was a sound architectural feast for the eyes: the concept, the layout and spatial arrangement, how the rooms were formed, the detailing, the colours and use of materials, the interaction of interior and exterior. A real gesamtkunstwerk.
http://www.renefijten.blogspot.nl/2009/01/hundertwasser.html

Michael Lukyniuk said...

Wow. A lovely sketch of what looks like a wonderful patio and garden.
Its funny, but I visited some buildings in Magdeburg in 2004 that were close to the medieval cathedral. They were government buildings belonging to either the state or the municipality. I don't know whether this is the same one that was referred to.

Rene Fijten said...

If it's the colourful building with the golden domes on top, yes it is. We have a building (a holiday center for children with cancer) a few kilometers from here. I visited it a few years ago.

RobCarey said...

To sit here and sip coffee- beautiful.

Rene Fijten said...

Indeed Rob. Have you been there, during your visit to Vienna?